Thursday, July 22, 2010

Classroom Procedures & Management

If you had to choose 1 procedure and 1 classroom management tip/idea/recommendation with another teacher, what would it be?

I am anxious to hear everyone's feedback. It is amazing, all the ideas that everyone has and uses that are all so different but yet so similar. The smallest little tweek in a policy, etc can make a huge difference in the outcome.

My biggest classroom management tip (which I admit, I need to work on) is to be and stay consistent. I know there are times, when we just get sick of or fed up and slack off on our rules and policies. This will have a trickle down effect on many other aspects of the classroom then as well. I am sure there are many other tips that other have to share.

My biggest classroom procedure tip/idea is to practice procedures EVERY single day for the first few weeks until they are engraved in the kids heads. Practice and actually assigning students to take turns showing and "skitting" examples of a good way to raise their hand versus a bad way to raise their hand or skit w/a partner how a good way is to enter the classroom and then show a not good way to enter the classroom. I did this for a few procedures last year, but this year, I will be doing them for EVERY single procedure for the kids to how to write their name on their paper etc.

I heard a quote once... "We must act as if they know nothing, and teach and reinforce every single procedure, in order for our classroom to run smoothly and make sure kids truly understand what is expected of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment